Department of Fashion Design and Textiles
The Department of Fashion Design and Textiles Studies is the primary Department from which the Faculty of Creative Arts and Technology emerged. In 2011, the Department was upgraded to Faculty status with mandate to introduce new demand-driven programmes in Art and Technology. Following this the Department has mounted new programmes in Fashion and Textiles, Graphic Design, Industrial Painting and Technology.
In 2013 a new flagship programme, B’Tech. Fashion Design and Modeling was introduced. The B’Tech. Fashion Design and Modeling is a Three-Semester Top-Up Programme introduced to help HND Fashion and Textiles students have a pathway to upgrade their knowledge, skills and competencies to the degree level. A new addition, Diploma in Fashion Design and Textiles commenced at the beginning of the 2016/2017 academic year. Over the past three years efforts have been made to replicate parallel sessions for most of the Department’s academic programmes.
The following programmes are being developed:
To be a centre of excellence in fashion design, modelling, textiles and garment education and related industries.
The Department’s goal is to prepare students for meaningful employment and job creation in fashion, textiles and related industries to make the country self- reliant. It is intended that the programmes will achieve, among others the following objectives:
- Provide integrated academic and liberal studies in various forms to meet the varying needs of students and society.
- Develop broad Creative Technical Education and Training in Fashion Design and Textiles.
- Develop adequate practical, entrepreneurial skills and training to enable graduates to participate fully in the social and economic development of the nation.
- Promote the study of local and international fashion and textiles as appropriate for integration into the economy of Ghana.
- Provide opportunities for supervised industrial practice (through attachments and visits) that are pertinent to the students’ field of study and professional careers.